Please apply to this Avista Utilities opportunity through the link below!
Environmental Scientist -Water Quality Specialist
Environmental Scientist-Water Quality Specialist
Job Category: Environ, Health & Safety
Requisition Number: ENVIR004492
Closes: January 31, 2023
Starting Range: $61,361 to $90,639
Market Level Range: $61,361 to $100,962
Under general supervision, plays a significant role towards the successful implementation of the Spokane River Hydroelectric Project License.
Applies technical expertise to promote a healthy environment in the Spokane River watershed by implementing water quality and sediment management plans, leads and conducts monitoring efforts, synthesizes information and writes reports. Adept at managing the work of contractors and coordinating efforts with agency partners. Interacts with and promotes strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including agencies, Tribes, interest groups and citizen stakeholders, as well as Avista employees. The position will manage issues related to water quality and terrestrial resources.
Typical duties include developing and implementing water quality, erosion and sediment management plans and policies relevant to Idaho, Washington, and Tribal water quality standards and guidelines, as they relate to the Spokane River Project. Associated responsibilities include budgeting, equipment management, data collection analysis, interpretation, database management, and report writing. This generally includes collecting, evaluating, synthesizing and analyzing data, and recommending and/or implementing plans and processes related to Avista’s water quality, sediment and erosion control programs.
Applies experience, knowledge, and training to permitting, project management, risk assessment, hydro license compliance, natural resource negotiations, environmental risk assessment, environmental auditing, environmental education, fisheries management and other areas of resource management and compliance. Provides specific technical expertise in one or more disciplines, including biology, hydrology, chemistry, natural resource management, environmental engineering, geology, cultural resource management, recreation management, environmental sciences/studies or related fields.
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university in an applicable physical science field, such as biology, geology, chemistry, fisheries, wildlife, recreation, environmental science, or related field, with zero to three years of professional experience related to water quality, sediment and erosion control planning, management, monitoring, and regulatory compliance.
- Master’s degree preferred and may be required for specific positions.
- Strong preference for demonstrable experience related to water quality, sediment and erosion control principles and regulations, preferable within the States of Washington and Idaho. This may include 401 water quality certifications, erosion control, and sediment management in a river and reservoir system. Additional knowledge and experience related to FERC regulations and hydroelectric operations preferred.
- Comfortable in office and field situations representing the company and interacting with a wide variety of utility staff, agency regulators, tribes, and other stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and capable of working independently in the field, as well as part of a team.
- Must have valid driver’s license and the ability to operate a boat is preferred.
- Requires exceptional organizational and communication skills, with proficiency in writing/grammar along with Word, Excel and PowerPoint programs.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders and to communicate clearly, both verbally and in writing, is essential.
- Computer skills proficiency required including standard office software and other more specialized applications as applicable.
Environmental Scientist I, Hiring Range $61,361 - $79,154, Market Level Range $61,361 - $88,052
Environmental Scientist II, Hiring Range $69,991 - $90,639, Market Level Range: $69,991 - $100,962
We encourage you to apply as many of our positions have step progressions to account for an incoming employee’s various levels of knowledge, skills, and experience.
Complete an online application and attach your resume and cover letter to your profile. All documents must be attached to your application at the time of submitting your application for review. No documents can be attached after you click "Submit".
At Avista, we believe our employees are our essential. Through them we deliver value to our customers and the communities we serve. The physical, mental, and financial health and well-being of our employees and their families are important to us. We are committed to offering a comprehensive total rewards program comprised of an externally competitive, internally equitable compensation structure and a benefits package that allows us to retain and attract a diverse, engaged, and skilled workforce. Our benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, life, and disability coverage, retirement benefits, incentive plans, wellness resources, time-off programs and much more. In addition to our total rewards program, the Pacific Northwest offers abundant outdoor recreation, four distinct seasons, and all the amenities and activities an individual or family might be interested in. To learn more, please visit our benefits website at https://avistabenefits.com/.
Pre-employment screening requirements
Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a drug test, background check and motor vehicle records review.
Avista’s Commitment to Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
Avista is a safe, inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds, and we are committed to Equal Opportunity Employment, Affirmative Action efforts, and Equity, Inclusion and Diversity. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, protected veterans, and all others. All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, age, sensory, mental or physical disability (unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification), Veteran status or any other classification protected by nondiscrimination laws.
Equity and diversity in our workplace is important to us. Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP here. Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you require any special accommodations to participate fully in our recruitment process. Avista will make reasonable accommodation to assist a qualified person with a disability in the job application, interview process, and to perform the essential functions of the job whenever possible, where undue hardship would not be created for Avista. Please contact us at email@example.com if you would like assistance.
Licenses & Certifications
NERC Background Check
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)